Thursday 26 December 2013

Review: The Book Thief

Hi everyone! I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas :)

I have just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and I can honestly say it is one of the most incredible, moving books I have ever read. 

The story is about a young girl, Liesel Meminger, and is set in 1939, Nazi Germany. At age nine, she is sent to a town named Molching to live with foster parents Rosa and Hans Hubermann. On the train journey to Molching, Liesel finds and takes a small book buried in the snow. She is taught by Hans how to read and write, and discovers her passion for words. Slowly, Liesel acquires many more books, as well as forming close bonds with those around her.

The novel is labelled Teenage Fiction, however I believe the story would be appreciated by people of any age (about 14+). It is so beautifully written and captured me instantly. I simply cannot recommend this book enough; it's a classic.

There's also a movie coming out soon which I'm hoping will be fantastic and remain true to the book. Here's the trailer for anyone interested!


No comments:

Post a Comment